Having a safe backyard is important, especially if you have dangerous features like a pool. Magnetic gate latches have risen in popularity because they’re a convenient way to secure your backyard. These add-ons are ideal for keeping children and pets. Whether you’re trying to keep kids and pets inside or outside, a magnetic gate latch provides a strong layer of security for your backyard. In this article, we’ll share our experience testing several magnetic gate latches. We will also inform you on what to look for in a quality latch.
Magnetic Gate Latch Benefits
There are plenty of reasons to want to install a magnetic gate latch. As former pool designers, we sing the praises of these contraptions for securing swimming pool areas. In almost every state, you are required to have a fence around your pool. Although, what if that fence is easily openable by a child? This defeats the purpose of the fence in the first place. A magnetic gate latch is relatively difficult to open so by the time your kid is big and intelligent enough to open one, they’re probably fine to enter the pool area unsupervised.
Next, there is the weather proof aspect of these items. All of the magnetic gate latches we tested were fully weather-proof. Therefore, you can expose latch to frequent rain or snow without worry.
Furthermore, magnetic gate latches are easy to install and adaptable. All of the brands we tested came with the required mount hardware. Unless you have a custom gate, all of these products we recommend will fit effortlessly.
Lastly, a magnetic gate latch will give you more control over who enters your backyard. A locked gate that requires a key or pin code deters theft but also allows you to give your pool service company or other contractors easy access. Most traditional gate latches don’t have the pin code feature.
Best Magnetic Gate Latch Of 2023: D&D Technologies MagnaLatch
- POOL SAFETY FOR CHILDREN – For over 30 years MagnaLatch has set the standard for safety gates near swimming pools and childcare centers; this top pull…
- MAGNETIC LATCHING TECHNOLOGY – The powerful magnets behind this industry leading technology are fully sealed internally to protect from the elements
- ADJUSTABILITY – Vertically and horizontally adjustable with alignment markers for simple installation and enables you to adjust for ground shift or…
What should you look for in a Magnetic Gate Latch?
Even for us, magnetic gate latches all look the same in pictures. It’s hard to differentiate between them unless you test each one out. In our testing, we developed some criteria for telling a good magnetic gate latch apart from lackluster ones.
Here’s a few things to look for in a magnetic gate latch:
- Top Pull: For safety purposes, seek a magnetic gate latch with top pull. This means that even when the gate is unlocked, you pull the top of the latch to open. This prevents anyone shorter than your gate height plus another 8-10 inches from being able to open the gate. You can still install top pull latches horizontally if you desire.
- Key And Code: To have the ability to share entrance permissions, get a gate latch with both a key and a pin code unlock option. This also prevents you from losing a key and having to hire a locksmith to create a new one. Or vice versa, if you forget the pin code, you can always use the key to reset it.
- Rust-Free: Gate latches belong outside. Moreover, you shouldn’t have to worry about protecting your gate latch from the elements. Buying a rust-free gate latch will add to its longevity.
How Much Do Magnetic Gate Latches Cost?
A traditional, non-magnetic gate latch costs between $10 – $25. A magnetic gate latch is far superior and will last longer than these outdated options. Therefore, magnetic gate latches cost more money. However, these type of latches won’t break your bank account. Expect to pay between $50 – $75 for a magnetic gate latch. While you can spend more, we found a handful of quality choices in this price range. Instead of saving some money on a traditional gate latch and then having to buy a pool safety fence, just invest in a magnetic gate latch right away.
What Are The Best Magnetic Gate Latches In 2023?
Magnetic Gate Latch Summary
A magnetic gate latch is a big part of having a safe and convenient backyard. We recommend the D&D Technologies MagnaLatch for its child-friendly design and overall quality. While there are many other magnetic gate latches on the market, the MagnaLatch was simply more durable and had far more customer reviews. Make sure to check a magnetic gate latch for top pull design, rust prevention and a key plus a pin code mechanism. Whichever latch you choose, expect to pay between $50 – $75.