At Backyard Assist, we’ve had the unique opportunity to work and live in both Arizona and Texas. In doing so, we’ve experienced the harsh desert climate. In both states, we were both homeowners ourselves and designed many backyard projects for clients. Therefore, we’ve been unknowingly testing the best patio furniture for desert climate environments for nearly 20 years.
What Materials Make The Best Patio Furniture For Desert Climate?
Before recommending particular pieces of furniture, it’s best to start with materials. No matter how comfortable a piece of patio furniture is, if the material heats up considerably, it won’t work in a desert climate. Therefore, we like to start with a list of do’s and don’ts for desert climate patio furniture. First, we must acknowledge that deserts are harsh places to live. Therefore, every material is going to have its longevity shortened by this weather. However, there are plenty of thoughtful choices you can make to get the best patio furniture for desert climate backyards.
Our first callout is surrounding metal as a patio furniture material. You must be extremely careful when choosing anything that features metal. If you come in contact with metal on a hot desert day, you can scald yourself. For that reason, some homeowners will choose to avoid metal. Although, this can limit your choices, so it’s best to just be mindful of not touching the metal portions during sunlight.
Wood is primarily the material we would recommend. Even though wood breaks down faster in the dry air, it’s still a great choice. Wood holds up better than fabric, which will get sun bleached quickly. Luckily, wood is best for furniture when you’re planning to sit or lay down. In comparison, wood doesn’t get too hot even in the desert climate.
For patio furniture accessories such as a table, glass is very popular. However, most homeowners don’t realize the amount of maintenance it requires. You will have to remove dust build up often. Needless to say, the desert is a weird place to live.
Best Patio Furniture For Desert Climate Top Picks
As we mentioned above, wood is a great material for harsh desert climates. Therefore, many of our top picks for patio furniture in this type of weather are wood-based.
Best Overall: CKH Outdoor Acacia Set (Sofa + Table + 2 Chairs)
- ●BRILLIANT 4-PIECE SET for all your outdoor entertainment endeavors; comes with two chairs, one bench, and one well-sized table to place wine,…
- ●DURABLE EUCALYPTUS WOOD is used to create the entire frame of this 4-piece set; eucalyptus is the perfect patio hardwood for its strength, beauty,…
- ●AMPLE PADDING FOR COMFORT is provided thanks to the included cushions for each piece of seating; not only is the Beckley set beautiful, but it’s…
Affordable Pick: FDW Outdoor Chat Set (sofa, table, 2 chairs)
- ☺【SUPER QUALITY CUSHION】: The chat set’s cushion is soft and comfortable. The sofa set’s cushion is built from high quality fabrics that…
- ☺【COMFORTABLE SOFA SET】:This patio chat set comes with enough room to seat 4 friends comfortably with a table to hold food and drinks. Our…
- ☺【DURABLE WOOD】: This sofa set is made of real Acacia wood with a natural finish. This chat set is solid, strong and durable.This conversation…
Relaxation Pick: Walker Edison Sorrento Modern Set (couch, table, chair, foot rest)
- Set includes 1 chair, 1 ottoman, 1 coffee table, 1 loveseat
- Made with solid acacia wood, perfect for outdoor use
- Each chair supports up to 250 lbs. Loveseat supports up to 400 lbs.
Casual Pick: PHI VILLA Outdoor Table Bench Set (table, 2 benches)
- 100% Acacia Wood – The outdoor dining set are made of 100% Acacia wood which is tough and abrasion, resistant with a longer service life. Oil finished…
- Oil Finished Processing – The surface of the patio table bench set has been special treated with oil finish, which makes it get better property of…
- Sturdy & Stable – 1.97” heavy duty trapezium wood legs with non-slip foot pads design makes the wood outdoor table and bench sturdy and stable. In…
Large Set Pick: Amazonia Arizona Oval Outdoor Dining Set (dining table, 8 chairs)
- 9 Piece Set This set includes 8 eucalyptus armchairs and 1 oval extendable table This set is ideal for both indoors and patio and will make your…
- FREE maintenance kit included Easy to maintain and clean This kit includes a wood cleaner brush gloves sponge emery paper paint brush Cotton cloth and…
- Dimensions & Weight 1 Oval Extendable Table 93.8L x 43W x 29H Unextended length 71 Stacking Armchairs 23W x23D x 36H
Small Set Pick: BCP Acacia Wood Bistro Set (2 chairs, small table)
- FOLDABLE & PORTABLE: A classic folding design allows for easy setup and storage, making this the perfect set for any balcony, patio, or other outdoor…
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS: Naturally durable acacia wood resists rot and wear from the sun or rain while a light teak finish adds a touch of style
- EASY TO MAINTAIN: The teak finish seals the wood to resist staining and allows for easy cleanup while the open-slat design prevents moisture buildup…
Patio furniture comes in all shapes, sizes and materials. As long as you stick with wood and glass-based material, you will enjoy using your patio furniture even in a desert climate. We really enjoyed the value of the Christopher Knight Home (CKH) set the most. While there is bigger and better furniture, this 4 piece set is under $500 and can fit in any backyard.
Our next favorite set was the PHI VILLA table and benches combination. It has a stylish look and is extremely practical for adults and kids. We’ve hosted several potluck dinners with neighbors on it and it accommodated our needs every time. Depending on your hosting preferences, you may elect for the full Amazonia dining set but you will need a large patio to fit it.
Unless you commonly host dinner parties, we recommend seeing our L shaped furniture guide before you purchasing any of these sets. These L shaped options are even better for relaxing but may not be ideal for simulating a dining room. Rest assure that all of the sets above are proven to be comfortable in desert climates.
How To Choose Between Patio Furniture
There are a few things you should consider before buying any patio furniture. Aside from the right material for your desert climate, there are some additional theories. Check in with yourself on each of these questions before choosing furniture that you like. These tips will help you narrow down your options.
- Aesthetic Fit
- Hosting Style
- Space Availability
These three items may seem basic, but make sure you consider them. Even if you find a beautiful patio furniture set, if its aesthetic doesn’t match the rest of your backyard, it will look out of place. Try to match materials, color ways and overall practicality when looking for sets.
Next, consider what you’ll actually be doing in your backyard. Do you host friends and family often? Are those guests adults, kids or both? Setting an intention for how people will use your patio furniture is a great first step.
Lastly, make sure to measure out your space. Additionally, plan a specific location on your deck/patio for the furniture set. Avoid buying a furniture set that is too big or small for the area you will put it in. If you follow these three principles, it’s unlikely you will regret your choice.
Desert Climate Patio Furniture Summary
If you live in a desert climate, try to avoid metal and stainless steel patio furniture. The last you want when trying to relax is to scald yourself. We know first-hand how intense it can be to live in parts of the country like Arizona and Texas. Generally speaking, wooden patio furniture with glass accessories are the best in a desert climate. Fabric can also be comfortable but it tends to get sun bleached very easily. Consider your hosting style, existing aesthetic and amount of space before purchasing patio furniture in a desert climate.