Bird feeders used to all look and function exactly the same. Thankfully, the days of a bird feeder being a cylinder or miniature log cabin are over. There are countless unique modern bird feeder designs. Some come with technology, others present minimalism. The bird feeder industry has evolved rapidly over the past decade. In this article, we will explain some of the recent advancements. Then, we will recommend our favorite bird feeder from each new feature of a modern bird feeder.
Our Favorite Modern Bird Feeder Products Of 2023
Recent Bird Feeder Advancements
Regardless of which modern bird feeder you pick today, one thing is for certain. The bird feeders nowadays are far superior to those of just 10 or 20 years ago. First, some bird feeders today apply cameras. This allows you to watch birds on your smartphone via images and even videos. Second, days of box-looking bird feeders are over. There is a wide variety of modern shapes and sizes when it comes for bird feeders.
To make matters even better, modern bird feeders aren’t so plain anymore. They come with different material and colorways to really make them stand out to your flying friends. Lastly, the location of bird feeders has been reimagined completely. Instead of requiring a tree or patio area, there are now many sturdy options for placing them on a pole or window.
Best Tech Savvy Modern Bird Feeder
- 【Watch Birds On Your Phone Anywhere, Anytime】- NETVUE smart bird feeder with camera can auto capture & Identify all coming birds, and you will…
- 【Free AI Forever to Identify 6000+ Bird Species】- Wanna know what species of the detected birds? This smart bird feeder camera with the world’s…
- 【See Birds Clearly with 1080P Color Night Vision】- With 1080P High resolution, this bird feeder camera allows you to get the best shots of image…
We’ll start off our modern bird feeder recommendations with by far the most impressive. Most homeowners install bird feeders to attract and watch birds feed. Therefore, in addition to the bird feeder itself, avid bird watchers always carried a pair of binoculars. Alternatively, perhaps they located the bird feeder close to where they relax in the backyard. Technological advancements have done away with the need for binoculars or squinting.
NETVUE is an extremely impressive company that’s making life more enjoyable for bird watchers. Using their bird feeder with camera functionality, their app is able to do three magnificent things that even other modern bird feeders cannot. First, they take a picture and video each time the camera detects motion. Next, the app can notify in real-time you so that you can watch the birds feed. Lastly, they’ve trained their camera to use AI and detect the specific type of bird that is at your bird feeder.
We were admittedly very skeptical of the image quality behind such a modern bird feeder. However, the clarity that the NETVUE system portrays is remarkable. Both day and night, we received clear images of birds enjoying our bird feeder. If you enjoy the bird feeder camera concept but want to see more options, we’ve reviewed several more in our bird feeders with camera guide.
Best Minimalistic Modern Bird Feeder
- Modern geometric design doubles as backyard décor
- Roof provides shelter to birds and food
- Built-in drain holes keep food fresh and dry
Luckily many modern bird feeder inventions have also focused on improving the appearance. Of course, it’s still important to be functional. However, what if you want something that matches the decor of your backyard? Enter the Perky-Pet bird feeders.
These are very sleek design bird feeders. While they may not hold as much bird food as other options, they look beautiful. Unlike most other bird feeders, their roof is made from metal. Therefore, it doesn’t depreciate as quickly as the former wooden bird feeders.
It’s pretty versatile and birds love to be able to fly through it easily. Our only complaint is its lightweight design. When you have a strong gust of wind, this bird feeder does swing back and forth rather strongly.
Best Artistic Modern Bird Feeder
- Easy to fill bird feed and easy to clean,can be filled with any type of seed.Holds approximately 1 cup of small birdseed blend, may vary depending on…
- Glass mosaic cemented on plastic circle which can reflect beautiful lights in the sun.Attractive design: Includes one round mosaic bird feeder with a…
- Birds can eat from the rim or hop inside during bad weather. There is a small hole on the bottom to let the rain flow out.Fly-through design allows…
In our opinion, this bird feeder might be the flashiest and most attractive. Surely this is subjective and depends on your backyard setting. This modern bird feeder also comes with a fly-through design. Bird watchers often know that this is a preference for most types of birds.
There are two color options for this bird feeder: green (seen above) and a dark blue. It’s made entirely of glass so do be careful that you secure it tightly and don’t hang it next to any large objects (like a tree) that it could collide with – we learned this one the hard way.
Out of all the feeders we tested, this one actually seemed to attract the most birds. Our only critique about this bird feeder is the delicacy of it due to the material. All it takes it one drop of collision to have to buy another one.
Best Window Modern Bird Feeder
- BIRD WINDOW FEEDER GIFT – Perfect for birding and bird lovers, our window bird feeder is a great outdoor present for kids, cats, and the elderly. They…
- SUCTION CUP BIRD FEEDER WINDOW – 6 Ultra-Strong weatherproof suction cups are included. To install, clean your window on both sides, slightly dampen…
- YOUR NEW FAVORITE BIRD BUDDY – Bird feeders for outdoors hanging from Nature’s Hangout are EASY TO FILL AND CLEAN! Simply slide out our patented tray,…
Lastly and also the most adaptable, we found the Nature’s Hangout window bird feeder. Coming from the traditional pole or tree hang models, this might be the most modern bird feeder you’ll find. This is a great invention because not every homeowner has nearby trees. Furthermore, sticking a pole in the middle of your backyard may be inconvenient.
One of the biggest reasons we loved this bird feeder is that you can enjoy it inside and outside. If you place it on your window over the kitchen sink, you can enjoy watching birds while you cook/prep food and again when you escape to your back deck.
We were initially worried about the suction strength over time. However, we’ve had this bird feeder installed for over 6 months and it’s held up wonderfully. We’ve seen plenty of use, thunder showers and even snow. Nothing has interfered with its installation.
Bird Feeder Modernization Summary
Now that you’ve seen some modern bird feeder options, your mind is probably racing with ideas. Our favorite is the camera feature from NETVUE. It’s hard to overlook the fact that it’s more expensive than the others. However, we’re not home during the day and the motion detection allows us to enjoy bird watching even when we can’t be sitting in the comfort of our own backyard.