While most of the time we spend our time writing about how much we love birds, and how to get great photos of them at your bird feeder camera, there are times they become pests. If you have a pigeon problem for example, you may find yourself with an incredible mess if they choose to roost on your roof, above a window, or anywhere else. You may be wondering what bird repellent options you have and how you can keep the birds away from your home or building.
In this article, we will review some of the most popular products on the market. We’ll also give you some ideas for keeping birds away with the various bird repellent types out there.
4 Ways How To Repel Birds In Your Backyard
Luckily, there’s several ways to make birds stay away from your property. We’ll explore spikes, decoys, gel ultrasonic systems in this article. You don’t have to pick a singular one, you can combine these efforts and see more success.
Best Bird Repellent Spikes: OFFO Repellent Spikes
First, there’s good old bird spikes. You’ve probably seen these on masonry buildings, commercial buildings, and even historic buildings. These spikes are a clear message to birds, land here and you’ll spend forever here.
- [Efficient and Humane Bird Spikes] By imitating the structure of thorn plants, the stainless steel bird spikes prevent the birds from landing without…
- [Durable] Made of high-quality SUS304 stainless steel, strong and durable. Compared with plastic bases, our bird spikes are more durable and lasting,…
- [Full Width Coverage] The length of each spike is 4 inches (100mm) and the width is 3 inches (76mm). Unlike products with only 2 or 3 spikes, our bird…
Though this may look like a violent method, virtually no birds ever land on the spikes. If they do, they were nearly completely blind and wouldn’t have lasted long in the wild. These spikes are popular in older buildings where window and door overhangs make perfect roosting places for pigeons. This will keep the mess off the building, and use the most obvious method of bird repellent to send the birds packing.
Spikes do require quite a bit of care to install, and most likely you’ll want to hire a professional who will be able to put them up without spiking themselves in the process. This is not a great product for a homeowner who isn’t comfortable using power tools on a ladder to do themselves. Once they are installed however, there is no maintenance. However, there is an aesthetic issue which some may find offensive. You’ll have spikes all over the building, which may lead you to consider some of the other options.
Best Bird Repellent Figures: Owl Decoy
Next, the owl decoy. This is often overlooked as a gimmick or a silly lawn ornament. Don’t let the semi-ridiculous idea of an owl scarecrow fool you. Owls are one of the most terrifying predators birds face, and given the choice, they’ll simply err on the side of avoidance.
- Bird Repellent Garden Protectors: Horned Owl statue set could scares away the animals like birds, pests, squirrel, raccoons, and more. Keep all pests…
- High Quality: Measures: 10.5 in Height x 5.2 in Width. Made of sturdy molded plastic and seems very realistic, scare away birds effectively. These two…
- Great Design: Bottom tab for filling with sand to weight for more stability. Eco-friendly and wildlife friendly — get rid of birds and pests humanely…
These work, at least for a time. You may want to move the owl around from week to week for maximum effect. In winter, if birds become desperate, they’ll risk coming onto your lawn if they see the owl decoy has been in the same place for months. An owl decoy however, is an effective part of any bird repellent strategy.
If you want to take the owl decoy to the next level, you can consider the owl with a movable head. This is slightly more realistic than the fixed owl decoy and may fool the more intelligent birds out there. Like the fixed owl decoy however, you’ll want to eventually move the owl around to keep the ruse going. Owl decoys should always be considered a part of the bird repellent strategy, not the only method you use.
Best Bird Repellent Gel: Bird-X Glue
If you have a fence you need to keep birds off of, bird-x bird repellent may be a great solution for you. This also works on ledges and window casings. Essentially, it’s great for anywhere you have an obvious bird perch where you will not be putting your hand. This is sticky caulk like gel which is non-toxic, and not dangerous to the birds.
- Keeps birds off their normal roosting areas, building ledges, window sills
- For repelling pigeons, starlings and house sparrows
- Non -Toxic sticky transparent gel
When the birds land in the gel however, it’s annoying and they’ll avoid the area from then on. This really stuff does work. Over time, the bird repellent gel will need to be replaced or re-applied, but for the price, this is a no brainer. If you have a pool fence covered in bird poop and you’re tired of cleaning it off only to have it show up the next day, this is your solution.
Obviously you’d not want to use this product on a porch railing or anywhere humans will be leaning against, or putting their hands. The gel will stick to your fingers and be just as annoying to you as it is to the birds. But for those out of the way places you don’t want the birds hanging out on, this is a great solution.
Best Bird Repellent Ultrasonic System: ZRJLY Animal Repeller
Lastly, we have the ultrasonic system. These are great for eliminating just about all wildlife, dogs, cats, raccoons, etc. from the area. We like the ZJRLY Ultrasonic Animal Repeller as it has multiple settings depending on what you want to repel.
- 【Effective Animal Repellent technology】This outdoor animal repellent ultrasonic features the most advanced ultrasonic technology to generate…
- 【Humanized Designed Solar Animal Repeller】This solar animal repeller makes animals feel uncomfortable and escape the area by emitting ultrasonic…
- 【Solar Power & USB Charging】The outdoor ultrasonic raccoon repellent is designed with solar panels, which can convert solar energy into…
For birds, setting 4 is ideal. This creates an owl sound, as well as an eagle sound which will put mortal fear into the birds in the area, as well as any mice or rats. This is a great addition to any bird repellent strategy. The only reason you may want to avoid it is if you have a dog or cat. You can drive them crazy with ultrasonic noise. Although, you can usually play with the settings to find one that’ll work for you and your pet. The ZJRLY is powered by solar so there’s no batteries to replace.
How To Repel Birds Summary
Ultimately, when putting together a bird repellent strategy, it’s important to use a multi faceted approach. If you combine some of the above methods, you’ll be far more successful. Using only one method and crossing your fingers is not usually effective. The best defense from birds is a good offense. Bird repellent may seem like an overwhelming task at first. However, you can successfully repel birds if you apply the above methods to your bird problem.